First race of 2017 and I almost sh*t my pants

Ambassador - info below ++


        ICEBREAKER INDOOR MARATHON 1/29/17

My last race was in November 2016 and I enjoyed every minute of my "off season". Off season = mostly 70.3 training and less focus on high mileage. It was all about brick workouts and gaining my endurance back on the bike and swim. It wasn't until the new year that I realized I had not done any runs over 13.1 miles. I was so used to racing every month and not having to keep up with my long runs.  The frigid Wisconsin weather didn't help at all either. I love running in cold temps but attempting 15+ miles out on ice, slush, mounds of snow and -25F wind chill temps don't mix well. I had to focus on time on feet training vs mileage training. Several 3 hour runs still didn't feel like I'd done enough!

But race weekend was here and it was time to test out my training so far. I was hoping all those hours on the bike and the brick workouts would somehow carry over to marathon training!
I had met Jen at the Icebox race (recap here ) and she was awesome enough to drive down to WI to run this race with us! We then picked up my co-worker, MJ, and drove down to Milwaukee for the Icebreaker Indoor Marathon at the Pettit National Ice Center.
At the packet pick-up, we scoped out the center (more importantly, where are the porta-potties and the water station?) and watched the relay for a bit. It's an indoor ice skating rink and it is massive. The Pettit center is "one of only 30 indoor 400-meter speed skating ovals in the world and the sixth oldest." It's also an official US Olympic training site for speed skating.  Inside the oval were 2 smaller international sized rinks for hockey games, figure skating and short track speed skating. Pettit info

When in doubt, bring extra skirts! 
The indoor temps were around 45-50F and we were pumped to running in the "perfect" running temps. I was stoked to run on surface that wasn't covered in ice and slush but with that, I knew it was going to be a challenge to run on flat surface for the entire distance. I love my beloved trails and because of that, I don't spend much time running on hard, flat surfaces - especially for long runs.
By this time, we'd already talked extensively about our pre-race meals and treats and we were starving. We finally sat down for a pasta dinner at Bravo's right next to the Brookfield mall (right next the North Face store, where we normally go for our NF Endurace Challenge packet pickup!) and accomplished our carb-loading phase of the race. We even received free desserts ~ which meant I broke my rule of no dessert before a race, especially with dairy. I didn't care, I saw Tiramisu as an option and I was all over that.


We spent a little time at the hotel preparing and debating over race outfits before turning in early. I didn't sleep much as there were constant noise from outside and neighboring rooms. Not to mention all the bathroom calls from the 3 of us! I remember hearing sirens and thought "Of course, Milwaukee. Why wouldn't I hear sirens?" and then what sounded like commercial vehicles coming and going.**

Not long after I fell back asleep, it was time to get up and going.  Race morning was uneventful and it went quickly. Next thing I knew, it was time for the National Anthem and lining up at the Start. The pre-race announcements included a runner running his 100th marathon, a blind runner who will be out on the course with 2 guides and to keep to the far lane unless you were passing and/or 3:30 (or less) finisher. Wow, amazing and what? Ugh, that means more distance covered and probably a slower finish time.
"Blind and irrepresible runner"
What's your excuse?

The gun went off and we all slowly got into our respective lanes. There were technically 3 lanes: inner (fast runners), middle (passing lane), outer ("slow runners", as they called us). I stuck to the outer lane for about 3-4 loops before I decided to stick with the middle lane as a compromise. I was constantly checking behind me, both lanes, to make sure I wasn't in anyone's way -- which now explains why my shoulders and neck are hurting today. The had 2 large screens that counted down our laps and I decided that I would take 10 laps at a time -- starting at 95 and counting down. Then I focused on the halfway distance, which I knew would be somewhere in the high 40s. We weren't allowed to listen to our own music and I quickly grew bored. There were only quick exchanges, (which usually was about my skirt!), but not much else.
Prerace. Jen wearing her first Skirt Sports! (Psyched print) (Me- Frolic)


Luckily for me, I had a new distraction. Unlucky for me, it was my stomach. I knew having dairy the night before was a bad idea (I eat/drink limited amount of dairy as is) but still didn't regret the Tiramisu! That is, until I had about 20 laps to go. I just kept telling myself to suck it up and keep running. And then with about 15 laps to go, the stabbing pain with the rumbling got worse. I, again, told myself to suck it up but my body cut me off and screamed "Nope!" -- I thought I was going to shit my pants skirt. I had the image of the unfortunate runner who was photographed shitting his pants and imagined I would become the new poster child for "Don't do this". Fortunately, the porta potties were located at each end of the loop... so I had that going for me.

 I got over the GI issues with 8 laps to go and decided to focus on the positive from then on. Everthing was hurting by then (including my abs) and as I expected, my knees were rejecting the hard, flat surface. I was dying for an elevation change, to use different sets of muscles to give my knees and calves a break. I had to dig deep to keep the momentum going so I did the ugly "I'm hurting but trying" smile and told my body what an amazing job it was doing. "Look at you. You're running ANOTHER 26.2 miles. You are amazing. Who would have thought you could accomplish this! Remember 70.3? You're LIVING." Your brain needs to hear encouragement - you need to realize the accomplishments. It did the job and I kicked it up a notch, striding longer -- and to be honest, I just wanted to be done. I was over it.

Or drink. Probably drink.

After I crossed the mat on my 94th lap, I heard them call out "Dyenna, you are on your final lap!" and that was all I needed! I high-tailed my butt around the loop and as I turned the last corner, I sprinted to the finish.
"Congratulations, Dyenna. You just completed the 2017 Icebreaker Indoor Marathon."
Holy sh*t, thank God, I'm done. But my friends were just a lap or two behind me so I quickly positioned myself to catch their finish with MJ finishing her 145th marathon. Yes, 145th at age 65. And Jen finishing her marathon in her first skirt!
I believe I finished somewhere around 4:31 and according to my watch, I ran about 29 miles. No technical PR but I'll take it. It also meant 3rd in my division.

Finishers! 

The best part of the weekend was celebrating with these phenomenal ladies afterwards. We congratulated each other and ourselves for finishing strong. We really did great throughout the run, even when it got tough. We pulled through and got a strong, steady run to the finish.
I don't know if I'll ever do this particular race again (you can read my race review here) but I know for a fact that we'll all be doing another race again. An exciting and inspiration way to start off the racing year.

First bling of the year

~ Dye


On a scarier note, on our drive back home, we learned that there was a shooting at Embassy Suites, which was right by our hotel. I'm assuming the sirens and running vehicles were from the police and ambulance.

++ I am a proud ambassador for an amazing company called Skirt Sports. I do not get paid for mentioning their name, showing the products or sharing any ambassador codes. As am ambassador, I do receive specials and discounts. I mention this brand often as I am a firm believer in this company and the founder: Real women, real bodies, real inspiration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Therapy session. Entry 1

Dig deep and make it hurt.

Go Hammer Time!