Chicago Marathon 2016


My biggest concern about Chicago was that it was a road race; I'm a trail runner. Even if you put me on a paved road, I will make my way to the side and run on gravel/grass/dirt. My other concern was how my ITB would hold up after my 50M a few weeks ago. When I last ran Chicago in 2014, I had so many injuries with ITB flare up being one of them that I was worried about running this one injury free.  About a 2 weeks before the race, I realized I should have added more road running to my training...





I treated myself to room at the Congress hotel, which I knew was near the start/finish. What I didn't realize was that it was right across the street!  What a treat after my last experience where I got up at 3am to catch multiple trains and walking in the dark/cold just to get to the start line.  I highly recommend saving up some moola to treat yourself to a hotel right near the start/finish in Chicago.  I'd also reserved my parking through Park Whiz near the hotel (and race) as well so it was just a quick walk to my car, if needed.
View from my room.  The race is literally right across the street.

Chicago traffic... need I say more?  After an adventurous ride to the expo (I was in tears with all the snafus), I finally grabbed my packet and wandered around.  Though it was so much wandering around as trying to maneuver my way through the crowds and booths. Was it necessary to have the packet pick up in the front and then the t-shirt and gear bags in the end of the other room?


Hallway to expo
I picked up a few items for my family (and then was ready to message a friend to say I'm just going to leave - let's meet up later on. But then I got curious about a line that was near a sunglass booth. What kind of sunglasses are these and why are people --- Meb Keflezighi. My heart skipped a beat when I realized they were in line to meet him and to get his autograph. I quickly stepped over and soon I was face to face with someone I admire not just for his incredible athleticism but for how he's made this life happen from his humble beginning. The title of his book "Run to Overcome" reduced me to tears when I first heard it because in 3 words, it tells my running story.  And I was able to tell him in person.
Meb

After such a high, it quickly spiraled down as I try to find my parking area in the chaos that is Chicago. I turned in early as I'd had enough stimulation that day. I even turned down a free pasta dinner (if you know how much I love food, you'd find this insane). I got out everything I needed for the next day and decided to take everything else back to the car so all I had to do the next morning was walk across the street. I grabbed Chipotle on the way back to the hotel and took on the Big Bang Theory marathon -- heaven.


Race day morning!  I awoke to the sound of people talking.  The one race morning when I didn't have to wake up at the crack of dawn (or even earlier) :)  But it gave me a chance to take my time ... drink coffee, water, nibble on granola bar while I slowly got ready.

Watching the sunrise over the lake... race corrals and starting line.
The bright lights are where the security lines are.
Watched the runners while I drank my coffee.



I headed over to the race around 6:30 am. Breezed through security and gear check -- and then went to meet up with fellow Run Junkees runners for a group photo.  Finally met some of the runners I'd "known" through social media and reconnected with a few I hadn't seen in a while.  By the time I realized I should hit the porta potty before the corral closes, it was too late. The lines stretched out and I knew I wouldn't make it in time. Oh boy - this should be fun!


Because of my disasterous run in 2014, I was placed in a different corral than what I requested and by the time we finally got up to the start line, it was nearing 8:30am. I was sure the elites were halfway done by now.  But here's the best part of being in the last few corrals -- you don't have to stumble over so many runners in the beginning!  There were open spaces to run through!

Waiting for our start!


The rest is a rollercoaster. Thrilling and some more memorable than others.  I didn't bother with listening to music as I wanted to fully experience this race (last time I had one ear bud in). At one point, there was a runner nearby who was carrying the American flag and it was such an incredible moment when people started chanting "USA! USA!" with runners clapping, cheering along.  At that point, it didn't matter what else was going on in the world. At that moment, we were proud Americans. No matter the race, gender, religious beliefs -- this is what it should be like. I wished everyone could experience a moment like this.
Gotta Go skirt (makes porta potties a breeze!)***
@skirtsports 

I rounded another corner and remembered: Boystown!! Oh, how I love this neighborhood. I wished our run through the area was a little longer.  But my favorite and what I looked most forward to was Pilsen.  I smelled the food first. Then heard the music. I was just pushing through my own personal wall and running through this group was just what I needed! The party didn't seem to stop (thank goodness).  

I usually forget to fuel properly early in the race so I tend to hit my wall around 14-16 mile mark. Somewhere in there, I feel empty and then overcompensate for the lack of fuel.  I don't forget entirely but I think I get so nervous about running with a full stomach that I don't get enough.  It's the part of training that I really need to focus on.Then the mental barrier kicks in. Mile 17? At least it's in the single digits left but good grief.  And there was no reprieve from the road, not even gravel along the side of the road. That's right, it's a city - not a country road.
It's extra big because I had to pay for this photo ;p

Yet while I was pushing through, I felt strong for most of the race.  The long lines at the porta potties were killing my overall pace - yet another reason why I love trails (you just hide behind a bush, no wait).  But this was the first race where I didn't take walk breaks except for the ones where I slowed down at the water stations.  I tried jogging and drinking my way through but that only caused the Gatorade to go into my eyes.  
And though I was bitching about where I was in the course (only 14? Good God, this has to be the longest 21 miles ever...), I realized how quickly it was going.  As I noted on my FB, I was definitely not keeping up with the Kenyans but this race was just flying by. I couldn't believe that in about an hour, I'd be done running through the streets of Chicago. Should I slow down and enjoy it?  No need -- cue runner's knee.  It started around 19 and then I couldn't ignore it after 21.  I took a handful of Biofreeze and smeared it all over - both knees just to be safe.
Dashing to the finish.  You see my J bib amongst the F bib runners? :D

And then there it was "1 mile to go".  Then 800 meters... 400 meters. Holy crap, am I flying? (I checked my splits, I can confirm I did not become an elite runner in that mile). And then it was time to climb to the top where you can see the Finish line.  I remember this little hill and I was so injured last time that it seemed like a mountain. This time, I sprinted up and then heard a runner cry out "Oh my God - I can see the finish!!".  The sight of a finish line is glorious, is it not?  I was ready to be done running but I wasn't quite ready to be done with the experience.  

I sprinted my way to the finish and was quickly herded to get water, then medal, then post - run snacks. It's such a hectic time. During that chaos, I saw the medic tent and gave a mental salute. I remember having to spend some time there after my last Chicago finish and with blessings, I didn't have to this year.
Just crossed that finish line :)

No medic tent but definitely needed some ice.


It wasn't my best marathon time (4:29:34) but it's an improvement from my run in 2014 where I was injured and had to pretty much limp/run to the finish (5:26:24- it was a miracle I even finished). I'm happy with my performance and obviously, I still have work to do. As for the finish time, it is what it is. Of course, I would've loved to have a PR. But it's about the love of the run and racing. Finish times are just numbers.  Your experience is everything and I hope that you never forget what an incredible gift you have of having another opportunity to run and inspire. #lovetherun

Hope to see you at the next event ~

Dye
@dye_ultrarunner

***Skirt Sports did not pay me to wear their brand or to mention them in my blog. I am an (unpaid) ambassador. Though I do receive some perks of being their ambassador, I wear what I want and say what I want ;)  And I love wearing my Skirt Sports (everywhere).***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Therapy session. Entry 1

Go Hammer Time!

Dig deep and make it hurt.