Power of powering through with running friends... Icebox 480

I was on my 3rd lap of the 7 mile loop and as I was trying divert my attention to anything else so as to forget about the tiredness in my legs at the time.  I thought "Well, this should be a very boring race recap.  Not even blog worthy... Captioned: I ran 7 miles over and over again and it hurt."
But by the end of that lap, I was in a much better place.

Last year's race. Loved it so much I came back!

I arrived early on race day for packet pick-up and to get closer parking than I had last year.  It was dark and the handful of people there were wearing headlamps. After grabbing my bib and bag, I sat and warmed up in the car for awhile -- and charging my Garmin that I'd left in the car overnight.
After 45 min or so, I grudgingly exited my toasty car (no, I didn't run it that long but it was warmer than outside!), grabbed my gear bag and headed to the main aid station area.
This is what I enjoy about loop races -- I have access to my gear after each lap.  Change of shoes? Why not.  Got too warm after the first lap? Take it off and throw it in the bag, no worries. Grab a shot of whiskey before the last loop? Don't mind if I do.


As most ultras go, it's a very laid-back start.  Shivering and joking as the race director announces last minute instructions.  Then we were off.  Lots of laughing and whooping as we shuffled through the winding bike trail.  The girl behind me made some comments about the trail and asked me if I'd done this before. I replied that I had and she had questions on the technicality and how hard the loop was, etc.  It sounded like she was new to trail running so I asked if this was her first ultra.  She replied, "Yeah, this is the first time doing something like this. I've only done half marathons before this."  I voiced my admiration for her and gave her some encouragement before we eventually parted ways. We both agreed that even if she ended up going 2 laps, it's still a PR and a major accomplishment as this isn't the easiest course to run.

I ran the first 2 laps weaving in and out of people's groups and conversations and accessing the sudden pain in my right knee. It was sharp but didn't feel like the usual ITB stabbing pain.  I did what I usually do, continued running in denial and hoped it would go away.  I came upon another small group and I felt into a comfortable pace with them.  I didn't speak - just zoned out while half listening to their conversation on other races they'd done.  I made sure to stay with them after quick stop at the aid station, which is where I tend to find new people to run with.
It was a comfortable place for me, just listening and following so I continued the 3rd lap with them.  About halfway through, I realized the first 2 runners of this group were running a little faster now and it was becoming more than challenging.  I could see myself getting injured.

Jen
The girl in front of me slowed down a bit - thank God! - and we struck up a conversation.
Her name was Jen and this was her first ultra too, though she's run her fair share of marathons before this and also her first real trail race.  While we were nearing the end of this lap, she mentioned she'll have to decide if she's going to continue or stop -- which would make it 21 miles.

Main aid-station area/Gear bag tarp

When we reached the start/finish (aid station/gear bag area), I offered to run/walk the next lap with her. No rush and no need to push at a hard pace as we still had about 4 hours to go and she'd definitely get in another lap and hitting a new distance PR.  She took me upon my offer and the next lap was the easiest lap I'd done that day.  We ran a decent pace and walked up the hills and got to know each other.  My main goal was to keep her occupied so she wouldn't think of quitting after this lap! (Haha!)  I knew she could hit 31 miles, which is what she had in mind and I really enjoyed her .  It was definitely keeping me occupied while I tried to forget about the pain that shifted from my knee to my hip.

Heather

Somewhere in the 2nd and 3rd lap, I also met a fellow Skirt Sports Ambassador! You can't miss the prints and immediately, I pointed to her capri/skirt and yelled out "Skirt Sports!" I do believe this is the general greeting among Skirt Sports fans.  Heather was volunteering at the main aid station and was so sweet and genuine - I'm so glad I had the opportunity to make a connection with her.
Also at another aid station, I met another volunteer who pointed out her hat -- the same Chattanooga 70.3 hat that I was wearing!  It turns out she's going back next year, as am I! And from a post I'd made on a tri group on Facebook, I found out she was a member and we connected again. What a small, beautiful world, right?

Wonderful world of 


Well, by the end of the 3rd lap, it was time to start the 1 mile loops.  We only had to do 3 to hit 31 miles. Before we reached the goal mileage, she agreed to do a bonus mile  "If you promise we'll walk the entire time." "Of course!" I replied and told her I'll just follow her this time.  She ended up running it anyway :)
Post-race

We finished 32 miles in/around 7hrs 37 min and decided to cheer on the other runners. We also chatted with fellow runners... shared war stories (Jen took the most fall, respectfully), congratulated each other and snacked at the buffet  aid station. This is the beauty of ultra racing. It's such a good vibe and I think that's the part I most miss during the training season.


I had such a great time out there and  I have Jen to thank for running with me -- allowing me to also be a part of her journey as she reached her "ultra runner" title!  I feel fantastic about ending the 2016 ultra season with a strong race.

Til next time ~
Dye
Post-race recovery, watching NYC marathon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Therapy session. Entry 1

Go Hammer Time!

It looks like broken dreams - Ironman Chattanooga Pt 2