Therapy session. Entry 1

"You should write a book!" is often the response I get when I share some details of my past. Whether they're fascinated by how I was moved around most of my life or finding out about some of the traumas I've gone through, it usually ends with them encouraging me to write a book.
I've wanted to for years. Though I'm glad I never followed through in my earlier years  - not because I didn't want to share my story but because my story had barely begun.

Now, as I shuffle through all the paperwork of my past, it seems like a good time to dip my toes into this mess I called my past. Like a good little bride, I waited until the last minute to get ready for the big day. No? Just me? With a little over 2 months to go, I needed to find my Certification of Birth Abroad (no birth certificate) along with proof of address to get my marriage license.  It turns out I have nothing "official" (besides my living, breathing body) to show that I was born.

How did I end up here?

I think this part of the past is boring - just the facts - but others seem to enjoy it. I was born in S. Korea to a Korean mother and an American father. Inchon is a port city so it's a hopping place for sailors from around the world. My father worked as a civil engineer for the Navy so without being told how they met exactly, I think we can all figure it out.  What my mother did was questionable. I just knew (and later confirmed) that she worked in clubs and I rarely saw her -- which was a good thing since she was either hungover and angry or still drunk. I bounced back and forth from her place and my halmoni. Halmoni means "grandmother" though she wasn't technically my grandmother. Not sure the details on how that all came about but I know she was the one who raised me for the most part. We were thick as thieves and if my mom were to come around, she'd stick up for me.

I hardly ever saw my father since he was always on the boat. But when I did, it was a special treat. I was treated like a daddy's girl, even if we couldn't even speak the same language.  As the girl of the family, I was treated as if I didn't matter. As an Amerasian in Korea, I was dealt with racism on a daily basis. But I felt I was special when he was around. It was a big affair when he came home. I was summoned to clean up my mom's place, getting rid of any evidence of a man living there. I can't confirm what his relationship was to my mom but I knew I hated him. He was the first memory of abuse.

And this is about as far as I get in any of my previous attempts of typing up my past. I still feel the shame and anger but mostly immense sadness for that little girl. I was maybe 4 when the abuse started? At least that's when the memories start. And it wasn't until I was 13yrs old that the cycle of sexual abuse ended - in a different country and a different family. There were more adventures for that 13 yr old. Though I desperately did everything I could to end my life at that time...
I've been told that trauma and abuse create wounds you can't see. Even if you come to terms with your past, the scars will always be there. I must've been slapping bandaids on and calling it good - or keep scraping at the scabs... I think it's time to really let the scars heal.

These posts may not be for you and I understand the sensitivity of the subjects (I will never go into detail of the abuses). I will continue to post race and training recaps. These posts are for fellow survivors and those who may still be victims. I have to be their voice. Please respect that and keep any comments or messages to me also respectful.

**I somehow managed to delete all the beautiful comments you left me along with my replies** I feel a little nauseous... but know I love and appreciate you!!

Comments

  1. As some of the others said above, how brave of to share your story with us. It truly saddens me to think of how awful this must have been for you growing up. I hope you find some peace and closure by sharing your childhood abuse and neglect. Sorry I did not have the chance to meet you at the retreat this year I hope to make it next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Deborah! While going through it, I didn't think too much of it. I didn't know anything besides the life that I was living - it was all I knew. I hope to see you next year as well!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Girl... just wow. You are an amazing human.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ***hugs*** i can truly relate and understand how you feel. I keep everything to myself as well. Sometimes I'll be lost in my own thoughts a little too much. And when a person that calls themselves my friend says I can open up and talk to them, the response I get, "you have to stop vixtikmizng yourself and move on." It's easier said than done. But, I believe it has made me the stronger person I am today. So sorry to hear, but you're an amazing and inspiring woman. There's nothing wrong with speaking up or just to have someone to be there as a lending ear. I think that's why I love dogs. I always have one, and when I come home crying or need someone to talk to, they never walk away or judge you. They love you unconditionally. Keep your head up love. The past will never go away, it's engraved in us. But make the best of what you have ahead of you now. And running is a definite therapy for all the pain and frustrations we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a horrible response. I'm so glad you were able to move past your experiences and become a strong woman yourself. There are too many stories like ours but as long as we continue to speak out, I believe we can help more girls/women along the way <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It looks like broken dreams - Ironman Chattanooga Pt 2

Dig deep and make it hurt.