How to make training work for you and your family ~ a single mom's quick notes.

If you've been paying attention to fitness memes or posters, you've seen them. "No excuses".  Makes me want to punch somebody.  It's a great idea, sure. If you work a perfect shift, have no kids, have unlimited financial resources... you get the idea.

But for the rest of us normal folks, life happens.  If you have children, you know that even giving "4% of your day" to workout is a huge struggle.  Yes, I was able to find a meme that fit both of these in!

A One Hour Workout is 4% of Your Day. No Excuses - Try some of our 7-Day Challenges, like our: Abs Challenge, Arms Challenge, and Butt Challenge, guaranteed to work you hard and use every minute spent on your workout to its fullest.

RUNCRASTINATION:   Having a long list of   things to do, and going  for a 5 mile run instead  of doing any of it.I do agree that it is about priorities.  If it's important to you, you will find a way to make it work.  And this blog is to give you ideas on how to fit those workouts in. As a single mom, I've learned a few things along the way while training for my races. Whether it was my first 6K or a marathon, they all posed similar challenges.  My kids are my #1 priority and these are some of the ways I made my training work for us.

Let's get right to it!  Today is a classic example.

1) Have a back-up plan.  It's not ideal but it's something. 

 It's my day off and the weather was going to cooperate the entire day -- I had big plans for training today!  Take my bike into town, hit the gym for leg day, run, and ride back.  Maybe try out my wet suit now that the beach is open.
But as I went to wake the kids up for school, I heard those dreaded words, "Mom, I feel sick."  UGGGGHHHH You've got to be kidding me! I asked if she felt she needed to stay home (I trust my kids to make a sound judgement on this) even though I could tell by her raspy whisper.
So.... plan B. Yoga and P90X ab wheel. Though disinfecting and airing out the house seems to be a sufficient workout in itself!

2) Get your gear ready.

It's hard to skip a workout when you took the time to have everything ready in advance.  I absolutely did not want to go for a run yesterday - I didn't have much time between my meetings and had too many things to accomplish at home.  But you know what I kept thinking? I took the time to lay out clothes for both an outdoor run and a possible gym/treadmill run (due to rainy day).  I went through the house to gather any and all possible gear I would need.  If I skipped my workout, I would have gone through all of that hassle for nothing.  And I would be even more angry at myself at the end of the day.




                                                                                    3) Get creative.

As a single mom, I really had to fit my running in whenever I could.  I would drop the kids off at school and go for a quick run/walk before having to get ready for work.  In the beginning stages of running, this was perfect since I really couldn't run more than that.
But now, I can fit a mile in and even a cool-down.  I would repeat this after I got home from work, before picking up the kids.
On days when they were home and I still had to fit in a run, I would be that crazy person doing loops around their house or the block.  I could keep an eye on the house and still get my training in.

4) Include the kids!

I don't know why it took so long to get this.  The run may be a lot slower but hey, it's still a run! And your kids will benefit from this.  My girls struggled with the running portion but they loved this special time with me.  Sometimes it was just a run around the block. And since there were two of them going at different speeds, I got more workout in by running back and forth.
We then started running to the high school track - about 1/4 mile from my house then. It was a blessing. Once we got there, they could play on the playground nearby while I ran.  And when it came to Spartan training, I would join them on the monkey bars!

                                              
5) Ask for help.

Believe me, I'm a typical Type-A, strong, independent woman, who likes to prove she can do things all by her bad self!  But I had to come face with reality and realize there are days when I need a little more time to train -- can't really fit in a 20 miler in-between school & work!   And for races since most don't have childcare :)
And you know what?  It didn't kill me.  My parents love having them over.  And if it came to going over to a friend's house, I would offer to have them over the following weekend.

Here's the bottom line on this - if people in your life truly care for you and support you, they won't hesitate to help when they can!  I know I would.


6) Find a 24/7 gym
If you're looking to join a gym, invest in a 24/7 gym.  I love my gym membership! I can't imagine having to work around yet another schedule.  It's there whenever it fits into my schedule.
I've gotten work outs in at 3am, on holidays, weekends... when my kids are taken care of and I have that time, I can run and lift to my heart's desire.


Final thoughts on this topic is that there is a huge difference between priorities and excuses.  You know what? There will be days when you absolutely cannot get your training in. I used to beat myself up for it -- I believed those "no excuses" memes.
BUT if your priorities are taken care of - whether it's work, kids, functions, proper rest - then there are no excuses.  (Let's be practical and assume that there is actual time for the workout/run -- not at midnight when you've finally finished all of your work for the day!)
I truly believe that if you want to accomplish something and that goal is important to you, you will find a way to make it work.  It requires dedication but you can do it!!
What is really important in your life? It can be as small as getting yourself to bed on time or giving back others- start somewhere and run with it!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Therapy session. Entry 1

Go Hammer Time!

Dig deep and make it hurt.