6 hr race... what could possibly go wrong?


I had already written this blog in my head during this race but I really wanted to have the race photos well.  What I found was that it it continued to evolve while I waited. And waited... it took over a month and if you are a racer of any kind, you know what kind of torture this is!   
So this is the first and only one that was uploaded. Are. You. Kidding. Me.  I was busy opening up my cocogo packet & hadn't even started running yet. And I already looked haggard and puffy. LOL


But Pat, the race director, was phenomenal. She emailed me back (I had posted a short note on their FB page, hoping there were more to be uploaded) with a sweet note and more pictures! They are such a great organization!!


Why did I do this in the first place? signed up for this 6 hour race to push myself mentally. I am all about sight and sounds during my runs - different sights and sounds, I should clarify.  The thought of doing loops for hours on end made me groan. But it was a new challenge so I took it on.

It was interesting how they keep track of your distances. Each time you finish your 2+ mile loops, you have your "tracker" who will note your lap. Just make quick eye-contact and give each other a signal "Got it? Thanks! See you in a few" all in one look or gesture.

The 2+ miles ( I believe it was around 2.14?) was perfect. They even had a food station halfway through and enough port-a-potties around the little loop.  The energy was great, I felt great. A little too much energy for what I had hoped to be another ultra for me.

I hit 6 miles in one hour (yes, that is pretty decent for an ultra). Then I decided my strategy was to run 5 miles in one hour, which gives me time to also get some walking and bathroom stops in.  Perfect, right?

Wrong. By the 2nd hour, my ITB flared up. I though "No way. This is not happening again." My 60k dnf memories came back.  I had felt confident in my recovery enough to not tape my legs up. Big mistake. By hour 3, I was forced to walk half and limp/run. I kept this up until 4.5 hrs into this race. I knew my strategy of reaching my ultra was out of the window.
With only 1 1/2 hrs left, I was forced to limp/hop. You know that "walk" we do when our knees and/or ankles are done for?  Light pressure on the most painful leg, then hop up and ahead a bit before repeating.

My goal was to reach a marathon distance. I hopped on my good leg until my hips had had enough. I was reduced to stiff leg limping. I was past the crying and pleading with God to perform a miracle on my ITB. I was angry and determined. I did not just go through this to not even get a marathon title (unofficial - just for myself).

What happens with these loop races is that when it gets close to the cut-off time, they have a "short course" for you. About 1/4 mile - going back and forth from the "finish" line.  I was about 10 ft from the finish line when the gun signaled the end of 6 hours.  I looked up and saw that the counters were already up and walking away.  I did a silent scream "NOOO!!! This is my marathon mark!! I had made it here, just few feet away. Look up and count me!"

Officially, I was less than 26 miles. But I did finish my marathon distance with few seconds over the 6 hour mark.


I also had an opportunity to volunteer for the night shift - yay!! I've always wanted to volunteer but well, you know... I also want to run them :/  I read that at this race, there's always a shortage of volunteers from 2am-8am. I was shocked & sad to hear this as the 24 hour runners are in dire need of EVERYTHING, especially towards the end.

It sounded great right? I run, I shop, I get some rest and then get up to volunteer. Ohemgee I was in dire pain. But what an amazing experience. You guys - if you ever get a chance to volunteer at these races, try to sign up for times when these runners need it the most. Their spirit, despite being up for 20+ hrs (and in the rain!), was crazy inspiring.  I felt like a wuss for my 6hr run. Or even my prior 50ks. They were humble, hilarious and raw.


This race was a painful reminder of what I'd gone through last year. A devastating dnf due to ITB inflammation and then consequently, time off from running because I didn't treat it correctly.  I was frightened that it would cost me another "receovery period" resulting in months off from running.  But whew!! I'm ok! I rested and stretched all of that week. I went on to complete another 50K the following month (Dances with Dirt).

All is well again. And I'm coming back to FANS 6-12-24 next year. You guessed it, for the 24 hour run.  You didn't guess that? You think you would know me better by now ;)

Do you have any race battle stories to share? Comment below!








<---Last 30 min of race. Still in a lot of pain but a change of attitude on the race will do you good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Therapy session. Entry 1

Go Hammer Time!

It looks like broken dreams - Ironman Chattanooga Pt 2