Fuel gels, hydration, races and gear... Let's discuss!

This post has been saved, edited, added, cut.. placed on hold while I tried new items. It's been going on for months!
The blog was ridiculously long so I went with my must-haves and indulgences... I honestly could talk running gear all day!

Orange Mud hydraquiver, InknBurn, Tiux, Cocogo, Skirtsports
**Disclaimer: let's get this part over with. This post is based on my own personal experiences and my favorite items.  I'm not getting paid to endorse any of these.  If I am or was an ambassador for any of the items, I will note it in the heading!**

Alright, let's get to it!

Shoes
We all have our favorites, don't we?  I'm as defensive about *my* shoes almost as much as I am about my parenting choices.  You think my 6mm drop shoes are slowing me down and will cause damage in the future? You better run.
I used to run in only Mizuno Wave Runners. They were my first upgrade from generic, beginner running shoes.  I loooved them.  I also tried the Prophecy and who doesn't love that design? It's sharp, right??   But after a major setback due to injuries, I tried out Hoka One One. I was hooked.  Have you ever tried on a pair of Hokas? You don't have to like the height or the drop. You can't tell me your feet didn't fall in love with the feeling of walking on clouds.
I am now a loyal Hoka runner.  Clifton, Clifton 2, Bondi, Challenger ATR --- love them all. I prefer mainly Clifton 2 but I'll be honest and admit I can't wait to get my hands on the new Odyssey.
I do wish the toe boxes were wider. If they could combine the toe box of Altras with the comfort of Hokas...

Gels
Another touchy subject... We are so unique that what works for one might in fact cause some GI discomfort for another.  That is one issue I wouldn't wish upon another runner.
I've tried them all...  Cliff, Honey Stingers, GU, Hammer, Powerbar, Huma  anyway... have I missed any?  As most athletes are, I was a loyal user of one brand.  It worked - simple as that.  But I found out that the races I was running didn't offer Cliff products.  It was usually GU.  So I stuck with GU -- until I started running races where only Cliff products were offered.  So here's what I do... I pick up samples of any new gels during the races to try at home during my training runs.
Hoka One One, Orange Mud, Garmin 310XT
I train my stomach (as much as I can) to handle different types of fuel so I can be versatile -- and not carry so much with me during the races.
The only brands I haven't been able to stick with are Powerbar (the thought of the taste makes my stomach turn) and Huma (I love chia but not in warm gel).

Hydration packs/belts
Orange mud. 100%. I love it.  I've tried Nathan hydration packs with bladder. It works but I can't get the taste of plastic out of the bladder and tube. The chest straps seem restrictive but the upside is, you have a light and sturdy backpack (once you take the bladder out!). And it's heavy with the bladder, no? I also tried Nathan hydration belt with 2 bottle holders and I know a lot of people love them. But I cannot tighten it enough for it to not slide up and then bounce around.  I love the thought of having the water bottles right at your waist but it simple does not work for me.
I'll stick with my Orange Mud double quiver. It has ample space for storage in between the bottles, side pockets and if needed, straps where I can hold a layer of clothing.  The only negative thing is that when you're tired (and I was exhausted at my 50M), it's a little difficult to put the bottles back in the holder as you reach back.

Hydration
Disclaimer- told you I'd let you know! I was a Cocogo ambassador last year.  But I actively reached out to become an ambassador because I LOVE their product.  It's the only coconut-based drink I don't gag on and it works. Simple as that.  I love the convenience of the packets.
I usually have one bottle of water and another of Cocogo. For training, that's what I stick with.
Ultras... that's another story. Soda (which I never drink otherwise), Hammer, whiskey (it was a long run)...

Watches and apps
When I first started "running" (it was a lot of huffing and puffing ... and walking) I only used the Runkeeper app.  The community is great and met some great friends through the app! I've used Map My Run as well but it seemed a bit generous with the distances.
 I then upgraded to a Garmin since my runs were getting longer and I was losing battery power more often.
Garmin 110... I adore this watch. It's basic but perfect for marathon training with its battery life of approximately 8 (training) hours.

Once I started running ultras and training for dua/triathlons, I moved up to a Garmin 310XT.  I thought I could get past the bulkiness but I really don't like wearing this one. And though I don't consider myself technology-challenged, I keep getting lost in all the features.
Weather app? YES PLEASE.
So I decided to give Garmin Vivoactive a try.  It's slick, very light, simple tracking screens and works as a smartwatch.  I love being able to download different apps and screens. The only downside (so far) is the distance tracking.  I've found that during my runs, it cuts my distances. For my last 50k, it was off by several miles.  I use it mostly for swimming now - and to count my steps.




Clothes 
So many brands, so many options and never enough money. Especially after spending it on the above.
Skirtsports Downtown skirt
I finally treated myself to Skirt Sports last summer and have become spoiled.  I love having side pockets.  No more having to find ways to carry my phone, ipod, gels, cocogo packets, etc.  Phone & cocogo on one side and ipod & gel on the other. Keys? They fit in the pockets too. And it doesn't look ridiculous because I have a cute skirt over them!  Oh - and ports for your earbuds so you can tuck them in through the skirt into the pocket, where your ipod is.  Genius.
InknBurn tank, Skirtsports redemption shorts, Hoka Clifton
Their gym shorts/capris have side pocket(s) as well. It's changed my life.

No more having to adjust phone/ipod arms straps while lifting weights or getting your earbud cord getting hooked on the weights/cables. Or is that just me?
Ink n Burn also have some edgy gear as well.  The designs stand out. Whether you run 5ks or 50M, you know you've seen their stuff. And they also have capris and leggings that look just like denim -- and with the beloved side pocket.
And with both brands, they can be worn as "real clothes" as well. I love being able to go from meeting room to the trails without having to change much.


Compression
Disclaimer: I am a Tiux compression socks ambassador.
I only used Zensah compression sleeves before I was asked to try Tiux socks. First, I love the Zensah brand. They worked well though taking them off after a long run/race was exhausting!
I never was interested in compression socks. I always assumed they'd slip down and I'd spend most of my time having to pull them up (and/or tossing them during the run). But I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at how nicely the Tiux socks fit.  Cushioned a little bit on the bottom too. Taking them off is not nearly as difficult as the Zensah sleeves.

Flipbelt vs Spibelt?
I have used both though I personally prefer Flipbelt.  It hugs my hips and I don't have to worry about it bouncing around. I love using the Spibelts for dua/triathlons. I fit a few gels in there for the run and pin my bib on (though I believe they have belts with bib holders).

BAND-AID Blister Gel Guard
**Add on***
I cannot believe I forgot to add this as this item is what spurred the idea behind this blog.  
After my 6 hr trail run that resulted in blisters on top of each other, I decided to take the plunge and give this a try.  Why did I hesitate? The cost. It sounds ludicrous, I know.  $100+ for shoes - no big deal but $6 for band-aids? Um... it better work miracles.
It nearly does. It's amazing and I don't do any long distance runs without these on.  Once you have them on, they feel like second skin (thick, almost waxy).  I do recommend making sure they're securely on before putting on socks, especially compression socks because they can snag and twist.  It's worth the few extra minutes.




I know this list can go on and on... favorite earbuds? (or no earbuds?), sports bras, headbands...

Comment below and share some of YOUR favorites!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Therapy session. Entry 1

Go Hammer Time!

Dig deep and make it hurt.