Dig deep and make it hurt.

This is not exactly a motivational post. Or even close. But it's an honest "this race sucked major butt" post. We've all had them so pull up a chair with your drink of choice and commiserate with me.


The runners, volunteers and police officers at this race are friendly and supportive. The energy from the volunteers are incredible - and I've run it through a freak blizzard and sub-zero temps. They are simply the best. It's a well-organized race and I appreciate all the work that goes into making this a great event. No complaints there.
The course is a mostly paved trail, and it's an out-and-back, which would deter me from running it in the first place, but I've run it the past two years and have placed 3rd in my division each time so I wanted to see if I could go for a 3rd podium finish.


On Friday, I finished work and was packed and ready to go by early afternoon (even getting my family's dinner started in the crockpot with a note!), and I would arrive in Waukesha early enough for packet pick-up, dinner and even write up some training plans for the next week. I put my key in the ignition, and it wouldn't start. Nooooo.... I know the auto mechanic said my battery was just limping along but not today! It can't die today!!

Luckily, my hubby has a truck for house chores (we live out in the country), so I was able to jump it. Which was an ordeal in itself as we'd gotten about 6-8" of snow and I had a helluva time getting the truck out (no, I completely forgot to shovel the area around the truck in my hurried state).
I met up with my husband to buy and install my car battery, and I was finally on my way. I did get a chance to pick up my bib that night before grabbing some Qdoba and settling in for the night.

I woke up with a sharp, shooting pain in my neck around 1am. It was a crippling pain. I couldn't really move my neck, and if I did hit a wrong spot, it would be "stuck," and I would have to use my hands to move it back. I must've yawned and shifted my neck at the same time. Yup, I'm definitely in my late 30s.  It woke me up a few more times during the night but otherwise, I got a decent night of sleep.


Layering up  ...

My alarm went off, and I dreaded toeing the line. I already wanted to be done and indulging in my pizza and beer already.  The temps were sub-zero with the real feel of -1F. I've run in worse conditions, but man, I REALLY didn't want to run today.
Getting dressed was literally a pain in the neck. Have you ever tried struggling with a sports bra with a pinched nerve in your neck? I'm surprised I made it out alive.

As I was layering up, I realized I really needed to change my attitude about this race. "What if this were my last race?" Make the most of it, the positive-me said. Good, screw this race. I hope it is the last race ever, said the asshole in me.

I made my way to the Schuetz rec center and zoned out as I stuffed my pockets with fuel and hydration (in my Skirt Sports Long Haul skirt with built-in pockets for these in the back), made small talk with a few runners (including fellow SS ambassador Jen!) and the social media.  I tried to block out the pain and the thought that I would be outside freezing my ass off for the next 4 hours or so. The goal was to place in my division again; I had to make that happen.

Once we were lined up to start, I felt like more like my usual self at races. Smiling and joking around with other runners around me. The gun went off and we were off. I immediately felt pain from neck and fatigue in my calves. "It is way too soon for this," I thought. But then I remembered I took Hammer Anti-fatigue caps and felt reassured it'll be over in a minute or two -- and it was. I took it easy in the beginning, taking in all the conversations around me. I focused on thanking as many volunteers and police officers along the way - I hope they hear it often from runners. Seeing their responses always uplifts my mood and makes me appreciate what goes into race.


I was dying of thirst but found it hard to reach for my hydration bottles without intensifying the pain in my neck. I usually take my first gel (or Perpetuem solids) by mile 4 but again, it hurt too much to twist. Reaching back with one hand to grab these items is easy, but my fingers would freeze as soon as I took my gloves off and made this a huge ordeal. "Should've brought my hydration pack," I berated myself. Always be ready for plan B -- this was a rookie move.

I ended up guzzling down Gatorade and water at the aid stations and eventually, able to grab my gels and Endurolytes. Sugar overload -- I usually drink my water and take my electrolytes and gels separately. And I swear Gatorade makes me pee more. Oh, is that TMI?


I grabbed bananas when I could, but my body was not happy in so many ways. Nutrition (or lack there-of) was way off, and the pain from my neck was beginning to shoot down the middle of my back.  We finally headed into the Ice Age trail -- YES! This is my favorite part. Feet on dirt (usually, mud, ice and/or snow) and some nice elevation changes. The trail wasn't too bad this year. There were definitely some muddy areas, and I slid more times than not, but I made it up to the peak, climbed the tower and wasted no time trying to get another selfie up there this time. I grabbed more fuel and headed back.

I was in my element and joked some more with runners going up to the peak. I was alone for most of my run back but wouldn't you know it, I had a witness as I took a fall and took a hit on my knees in the frozen mud. "Yup, I'm fine. Just earned myself another beer," as I tried to laugh it off in embarrassment.

I made it back to the paved trail, and the volunteer announced "The worse part is over, at least!" I LOL'd painfully in my head -- this was just mile 16. The worst parts are about to begin. My wall usually begins around mile 18 and then again at 22. Mile 22 is more of a mental wall but either way, my way of dealing with them is to run hard through each of those miles. "Dig deep. You should be hurting. What's that quote? 'Expect it to hurt. Race always hurts'" was my racing mantra that day.

I don't check my watch very often during races or runs, but I do like to check my perceived level of effort/exertion to the pace I'm currently in. Around 18, I saw that my pace was around 9:05. Not bad. As I continued on, I made sure I was usually between 8;30-9:45 pace. I would often have to stop or walk slowly to reach for my water bottle or gels.
As I passed another runner around the 23rd-mile mark, I heard her say "Great job, way to finish strong." I thanked her but joked that it may not last very long. She could very well pass me in a minute. But man, I was looking for a change in scenery! To which, she agreed.
We'd been pretty much running straight on this paved trail.


As we got out of the park and into the town, I felt more energy. Finally, some turns -- and people!  I tried to increase my pace just a tad more but wanted to save something in the bank for the finish.  I rounded the final corner and came across 4 runners in front of me. I tried to call out something coherent like "on your left, or your right... " but they were covering the entire sidewalk so I ended with "Can I pass through?" And I was off. And then energy was zapped. It was freezing but intensely warm when the sun hit. It was a headwind on the way out to the trail and then hit some more on my way back into town. It felt like a bad dream where you can't seem to move forward no matter how much effort you put into it.
Slight bruising. But do you like my jammies?

"It's supposed to hurt. Dig deep and make it hurt some more." I had my best pace of 7:17 somewhere around here. I crossed, grabbed my medal and reveled in the fact that I was finally done. I didn't care about my finish time. I finished the damn race. Time to thaw out with a nice, cold beer (it made sense at the time).

I reached the gymnasium and took a moment at the results, figuring they wouldn't have updated it within the last 3-4 minutes. I went to the room where they had out the awards if you placed to see if they could just let me know. I wouldn't have asked if they were busy, but they were just sitting there.  The guy said the results are posted in the gym, and I replied it wasn't up there yet and that I didn't expect it to since I'd recently finished. I do want to point out that I was not demanding anything nor expecting them to go out of their way for my request. He pretty much told me "no" by saying the results are updated every 5 minutes or so and that they only give out the awards there.
I knew that last part wasn't true, but I just smiled and said thanks. I went back to the results pages, and the lady there said it hasn't been updated yet. She'd been waiting for about 20 min. As she's saying this, the guy who I'd just interacted with walked in with the latest results. Doesn't say a word to me as he taped them up. I told the lady what just happened and who that dude was. I saw that I placed - as did she - and told her we need to go back to the room I was just in to grab our awards.

Once we walk in, the guy says "Something I can help you with?" "Yes, we placed," I replied. He proceeded to ignore me and ask the other woman her bib number. "Keep your shit together, Dye. Not worth the trouble of opening your mouth over this," I reminded myself.  The other girl working picked up the newly printed award and called out my name. Thanked her kindly and got out of there quickly -- I needed a beer, stat.

"One beer or two?" We get two?! Hell yeah, 2, please. I'm not sure why that was even a question, but I happily accepted. A few people stopped to congratulate me, including one of the 4 that I asked to allow me to pass towards the end.
I found a spot to drop off my stuff and went to grab my drop-bag. As I was heading back to my table, a woman approached me and said she recognized me from my blogs. I was shocked. Nancy, it turns out, knew me from Instagram and had read my blog posts. She told me it was very inspiring and at that moment, I could've cried. I'd had such a shitty day out on the course and the recent exchange with the timing guy. We chatted for a little bit (this was her first marathon back after having kids!), took a photo and told her I hope to run with her in the future as we parted.

Nancy @running.through.it

Just a warning, if you meet me in person, I am really the awkward person I claim to be in my bio! I ramble on and ask a lot of questions.


That was the real highlight of my day. 27th marathon distance and I fought hard for my 3rd place in my division - they're great. But knowing someone is out there seeing me and reading my personal stories - and is "inspired" by them means more than any medal or certificate.


I hope this is my one crappy and un-inspiring race of the year. My legs don't feel too bad considering that this was mostly a road race and my neck has a better range of motion. Spending time with my family is on the agenda for the day.

Until the next adventure...

~ Dye

Comments

  1. Great recap, Dyenna, and great finish on the marathon! I wish I had been faster, we could've chatted during that looong stretch back. Thanks again for being so kind when I approached you. I'm more of a quiet person and almost didn't say anything but I've followed you on social media and your blog posts for awhile and you really are such an inspiration, I had to say something. Running has helped me deal with depression and I love to hear how it has helped others. If you don't mind, I'd like to post the picture you have of us on my IG. I'm so thankful to have met you in real life. I do hope we get to run together sometime. I may focus on half-marathons for now, but who knows - maybe someday down the line I'll go for a 50-miler like you have and actually earn that North Face buff I have (that they so kindly gave to my son at packet pick-up). Thanks for all that you share, your story is so helpful to many. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming back stretch was a marathon in itself. It was never ending! Thank you for approaching me ~ you have no idea how much I needed that. I'm so glad the blogs resonate with you. That's why I started this :) And yes, please share away!! When you're up for the challenge of an ultra, I'll run with you!

      Delete
  2. That dude made me want to throat punch him for you because he could've been honest that he didn't update the board as of yet. Nevertheless, great damn work lady. Congrats on your 27th marathon. I tip my metaphorical hat to you -- or maybe I'll shake my locks to the side in honor of your accomplishments lol. Beautiful read through and through; it helped understand the athlete and the incredible human that you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cold? Meh. I've run in colder temps. Pinched nerve? I'll get over it. But that douchebag really tested my lashing-out-anger threshold. Haha! Shake your locks to the side - yesss. Thank you so much, Latoya! That means so much as I admire your raw honesty and humor.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Therapy session. Entry 1

Go Hammer Time!