Happy birthday!


"If you empower women, you can change the world." -- Oprah

Nicole DeBoom comes to mind when I hear that quote.  Nicole won 2004 Ironman Wisconsin wearing the first prototype of a running skirt. For those who aren't familiar with the distances in a full ironman, you swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles and then run 26.2 miles.  Are you exhausted and sore just reading that?  My heart starts pumping harder every time I think of those distances.  
That was 12 years ago on this date. 3 days after winning, she founded Skirt Sports. You can read more about her story here .




Before I start, I have to get the legalities out of the way. So bear with me!  I'm a proud Skirt Sports ambassador. It doesn't mean I get paid for mentioning them in any of my blogs or social media posts nor do I profit from any sales made with my discount code (DMR20, by the way). I do receive discounts and various perks as an ambassador.

Let's move on to the good stuff!

I first heard of Skirt Sports when I signed up for a Skirt Chaser in Madions, WI a few years ago. I was a newbie runner and 5Ks were my jam. I enlisted my best friend at the time and suggested we make a girls' trip out of this. I met Nicole DeBoom and then read about how she started this amazing brand of running skirts and dresses. What I love is that she won her Ironman in Wisconsin!! (2004)

I finally got up the nerve to apply for ambassadorship last year and holy crap, I was accepted as an ambassador captain. I may not be pro but this was pretty close in my book.

When I received my invitation for the Skirt Sports ambassador retreat and 5k/13er weekend, I was heartbroken because I didn't think I could go.  I was already planning on traveling to Chattanooga for my first half ironman and as a mom of 2, I couldn't see how I could do this.

Something happened after my half ironman.  I thought, why not?  My girls were able to come to Chattanooga with me so it's not like I was spending more time away and they love spending time at Nana and Bumpa's! (and vice-versa).  Monetary-wise, sure it wasn't going to be cheap but I have the mentality of "work to live, not live to work".  I could afford this and what else would I use my "allowance" on?  And before I get the negative comments -- my girls are care for. I'm talking extra money. For myself.

And I reasoned that I don't know if I'll be an ambassador next year and who knows when I'll have this opportunity again. So I did it. I talked it over with all those who would be involved in my weekend away, found an awesome roomie with fellow skirt sports ambassador (thanks, Linda!) and booked my trip.

Hello, Colorado!! I envy you, CO residents.  This is your view everyday?  On the way to the grocery store, work, etc... that's what you get to see?  What amazing view. I couldn't stop being a tourist and had to keep taking pictures.

I saw the pink and white balloons in front of the Skirt Sports store - and so many skirts in one location! I was at a party with some badass females, all of whom were wearing my favorite brand in the world. This is skirt heaven.  Nicole came by and greeted us while we checked out possible new patterns and remember thinking "Yup, this is why I love this company. She's awesome. Stay cool" (I probably didn't). I also finally got to meet Noelle, who'd been amazing in communicating with us ambassadors!

There was a lot of shopping, talking, laughing and CAKE. Yes, it got even better.  After a very motivation "speech" by Nicoel, in true Nicole Deboom-style, of course, we were treated to a mini runway show of the fall/winter line up.  After some more shopping, we left for the night. We had a hike retreat to go to the next day.




On the way to the hike, we got lost. I'm a person who values punctuality - you're late if you're not *at least* 5 minutes early.  But I couldn't even be upset. The views were just breathtaking and I was thoroughly enjoying my conversations with Linda. I was in the middle of talking about how I'd seen the Stanley Hotel on my last visit to CO decades ago when I noticed a building that looked eerily similar to it.  Sure enough, we'd gone too far.
We missed the actual hike but Noelle's house was up on a mini mountain (yes, you can quote me on that) so we decided to hike down and back up and maybe catch the group. We did not. But we did manage to catch a ride back from a few of the ambassadors!


We spent the rest of the day indulging in organic snacks and beverages while getting into groups to talk and learn from each other.  I loved getting to know these strong women - so individually talented, creative and did I mention badass?  Spending time with them made me feel empowere.  I've never encountered such a positive and supportive environment, especially with a large group of women. I wish every girl and grown women could experience this. THIS is how we should be acting towards each other. Accepting, inspiring and motiving.

A time to indulge in me ...and my love for what I do while learning from these women.
It was just what my soul needed. After a day of hiking, brainstorming, eating and laughing, it was time to rest for the 13er early next morning!

The distance didn't worry me but the time constraint plus the high altitude had this flatlander anxious.  Sure, we have some decent climbs and hills in Wisconsin but besides mask training, how else could you prepare for running a half marathon in Colorado?

I was conservative in my pace from the start.  I know all about positive thinking and feeding my brain the good vibes, etc.  But in reality, I was freaking out.  Every mile was filled with thoughts of  "Am I feeling light-headed?  Am I dehydrated? Please don't pass out."

Despite my anxiety issues, I was in heaven.  The views were AMAZING and they took my breath away.  I got more comfortable with the race and then saw the big climb coming my way.  They said "you'll know when you get to it". The gummy worms they were handing out were a nice consolation for what I was about to do (seriously, the best thing to eat at that point). I felt good halfway through the climb, felt pretty proud of running it up so far. Then things started blurring and I got light-headed.  I decided to stop for a brief moment. Walked slowly for a little bit and once I got my breathing back to normal, I saw the aid station on top and started running again. The worse of the elevation was over!

The rest of the race continued to be scenic and positive. I did hit a wall around the last mile and half. I ran out of water and all steam. I felt like I was trudging through each step without any progress.  But once I saw I had less than a mile to go, I forced myself to run again. I could hear the excitement of the finish line as I got closer and once I turned the corner, I saw that glorious finish line -- and skirts! :)  Nicole came up to congratulate me and asked "That was hard, wasn't it?".  That would be a simple way of describing it, yes! My long-time friend from Wisconsin, who'd moved to Colorado, was waiting for me at the finish.  I hadn't seen this girl in over 10 years and it was the best ending to a grueling race.  She cried, I tried not to, we grabbed cake and had to start heading towards the airport (without some quick sightseeing first).

It was an incredible weekend and one that I hold dear to my heart.  I'll never forget feeling welcomed into a group of women. Thank you Nicole for Skirt Sports. It's more than just sports wear ~ it's a community of women to get "it". Thank you Noelle for everything you do! And lastly, thank you to all the empowering skirt sisters who know that we are here to lift each other up and help each other grow.



~ Dye

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Therapy session. Entry 1

Go Hammer Time!

It looks like broken dreams - Ironman Chattanooga Pt 2