"Not going for PR - just finish." Famous last words.


My left ankle has been the bane of my existence ever since it happened in late May. I lost out on a lot of miles in running/cycling and leg days. My only reassurance was the 20 miler I got in a few weeks beforehand. Should be good, right? I couldn't NOT run this race. This was THE race. The one that got me started in ultra running.
Message with Chris (yes, I have his permission to use this!)


Bib pick up, first year.
 4 years ago, I was preparing for my 3rd official (4th unofficial) marathon and one that would get me qualified for marathon maniacs when I joked about running the 50K distance instead. I had just finished reading Dean Karanzes RUN! and the idea of running an ultra myself seemed insane. Few people egged me on and said I was more than ready for my first ultra to which I laughed and laughed. This was considered a tough trail course. The website bragged on about how tough this was and having had zero experience on trails, I wasn't even sure about running the full!

First DWD 50k
I chuckled when I recalled the post and the comments but about an hour into the drive, I started entertaining it. "If it doesn't cost more than $35, I'll transfer.... Ok, if it's less than $50, I'll do it.... As long as it doesn't cost me $85 or more, I'll do it."  I have no idea where those figures came from.
I got to the packet pick up, turned in my waiver and mustered up all the strength I had to ask "How much is it to transfer to the 50k from the marathon?" $15. Welp, guess I'm running an ultra tomorrow. And the rest is history.

I love hate love hate love/hate this race. I love driving through the rolling hills of Baraboo and seeing the telltale sign of DWD tents out in the middle of nowhere.  Packet pick up is simple and organized and takes less than 10 minutes. Hate comes later with the insane climb.

Packet pick up
After we got our bibs, we headed to the hotel to get carb-wasted loaded. Our hotel was in Wis. Dells and though I managed to find one that wasn't on the main street (where all the traffic tends to be), it still was loud and lively throughout the night. I think I got about 5 hours of unsettled sleep.




Follow me guys, I know where they keep the food!
The alarm for 3:55am came too soon. But we were all set. I had my clothes and gear all laid out, coffee pot just needed to be plugged in.
I planned on wearing my Skirt Sport Super Girl tank (3 pockets on back, 1 cleavage alley pocket) and Gotta Go skirt (no need for porta potties!!). My go-to fuel: Hammer gels and Base Salt. I would also munch on whatever they have at the aid stations - mostly potatoes and salt.

As I packed up the last of my stuff in the luggage, I realized I forgot my handheld. I was paralyzed with doom. I looked at the aid stations on my arm and tried to figure out if I could really go without water in between them. The longest distance is 4.7 from one to another but this is a trail race (and did I mention it was a tough course?). That 4.7 mi that would normally take less than 45 min could definitely mean an hour, if not more. My fiance offered me one of his 9oz bottles from his hydration belt and I took him up on the offer -- I didn't care if I had to hold it without a strap the entire time. We then headed off to the race while I berated myself for this mistake. Is it even a rookie mistake? Rookies don't even make these types of mistakes.


Once we got to the site, I threw my bag along with others on the drop bag tarp, grabbed some safety pins (oh yeah, somehow managed to lose those too) and immediately headed to the porta-potty, where I pretty much remained most of my time. You know that once you leave the area, the lines get crazy long, right? I get out, get back in line.






I met one of my FB/IG friends, Matt, and chatted a little, took pics and then it was time to line up for the start. And we were off!  I ran with Matt for a bit but managed to zone out and lost him within a few miles. I love the beginning part of the race where everyone is talking and joking around. I get lost in people's conversations and the rhythmic sounds of our shoes hitting the ground and hydration packs and handhelds swishing around.

My left ankle weighed heavily on my mind. It felt fine but I was very cautious of my footing. It's one thing to roll my ankle in the 2nd half of the race but I didn't want to make that mistake so early on. The goal was to focus on going from one aid station to the next. It's usually how I handle the ultras -- chasing the food stations :)  I didn't wear a watch and though I did have my ipod fitness going, I went by feel.  It makes you a lot more aware of where you are in the moment. I wasn't obsessing over my time or the miles. I knew the next aid station was going to be in 2.3 miles and while I don't have an internal GPS in my body, I know generally how a 2 mile run feels, and so on.

As I headed out from the first stop, a runner next to me mentioned the weather this year and what a difference it's been so far since last year. We'll call him Golden Beard as I encounter him few more times during the race. He was from Chicago and was supposed to run with a friend but ended up backing out on him. His goal time was ideally 6:15, to which I thought "Woah, I'm going to die if I keep up with this guy." But said he's fine with 6:45. I still had the same thoughts-my time last year 7:01. But his pace was comfortably hard so I stayed with him for the most part, which was great when we hit the dreaded Gravel Hill from Hell -- not the official name but anyone who's run this course will know what you're talking about. We ran most of it and I know last year, I didn't even attempt to run any of it. It's about a mile up. Once we got up to the top of the bluff, I decided to separate and take a moment for some photos before moving on.

Worth the climb!


1st obligatory selfie on bluff
I was on my own for a bit but could overhear 2 girls talking behind me. "I feel great. I bet I could do 50 miles today." Um... we haven't even reached 10 miles yet. To me, the race hasn't even started yet. "Here's the deal. I'll run the 50 miles with you if you wait for me while I go to the bathroom." Whaaat? This conversation went on, keeping me entertained as we headed to the bottom of the bluff. I knew the next challenge would be the "prairie" -- again, not the official name but that's what it's known for. It's hot, open with uneven grass as the course and surrounded by tall grass and that one poisonous flower that will give you a crazy rash but can't ever remember the name of. And to top it off, we were told it would be wet and muddy after the recent storms.

I guzzled down some Mountain Dew (only during races!), water, munched on some salted potatoes and headed out towards the prairie. Golden Beard came up behind me as I climbed over some downed trees and we (half) joked about how awful this portion was. I did bring others good news: it's been shortened this year. At least, according to my aid station info on my arm. "And do you feel that breeze? What an amazing difference from last year!" I cried out. Last year (and the year before) was high 90s with humidity in the 90% range. There was only large section of mud and I welcomed the coolness on my feet.
Mud and dirt = successful trail run.
I lost Golden Beard again once we reached the same aid station (the prairie is an out and back) but I saw my fiance as I headed back to climb up the bluff again. He was running the marathon with only a few 4 miles of "training" in -- he's one of those people :) The idea of getting a PR persisted. 6:45? That seems kind of crazy but I wouldn't mind beating last year's time and getting the goal of sub-7hr run...

2nd portion of Gravel Hill from Hell
There was another out and back portion that was just pure hell. I'm really not sure which hill was worse - the gravel or this. You know that with every downhill, you will have to go uphill. And I was getting nervous with all the downhill on this portion. It didn't help that one of the guys coming back up grimly said "All I can say is... good luck."  I tried to focus on the job of not climbing at the moment but it kept going! We finally reached the turnaround and then I looked up with dread. What else can you do but put your head down, dig deep and start the climb? 2 miles of uphill climb. I happened to see Matt as I was climbing up and he asked how I was feeling and I think my response was something like "... soul crushing...".   I was about 20 ft from the aid station when another runner was heading down and he yelled out "2 miles? She (volunteer) must mean 2 miles each way. Is there an aid station down there?" Yup, it's a turnaround and no aid station, I replied. That poor soul.  I didn't want to crush his spirit so I said nothing else.

Through the next portions, it was a bit of a rolling course. Not too much elevation gain/loss but just enough to make it hurt. One of the runners I kept running by let me pass through one of the technical parts of the downhill and said to me "Go ahead. You get the downhill and I've got the uphills. If we can just put both of us together..." I didn't hear the rest, but I laughed along with her. But I thought "Oh hell no. I'm known for running up most of the hills." I've become one of the sickos who delight in hill training. I'll make sure she doesn't catch up to me for the rest of the race! It was just the push I needed to dig deeper.

2nd loop
The second loop of the course included the Gravel Hill from Hell again. The race director is a bit of a sadist, I'm sure of it. The good news was that somewhere near this part, I overheard a crew member say we only have 10k left. WHAT?! I was sure we were only at 21 miles. I asked another runner to check his watch and his showed around 27 miles. "You both just made my day." I thought I had another 10 miles to go yet!

I saw a couple up ahead and noticed that the man seemed to be wearing a tri bottom of some sort. Then saw the Ironman tattoo. In my desperate attempt to disengage from the suffering, I called out "I see the Ironman but the mud is covering the rest. Which race did you do?" He laughed and said "Madison" and told me about a few other 140.6 races he's done. He asked which ones I've done and it was my turn to laugh. None yet, but going for one in 2018. Definitely not WI though, not with the hills on the bike. He didn't disagree which only confirmed my suspicion that it's seriously one of the tougher bike courses. He seemed to be in a hurry to be off and wished me good luck on my future race. It was a bit awkward because I think his wife/girlfriend wasn't comfortable with me talking to him. Whatever, moving on.


2 girls behind me had been chatting nonstop this entire time. At one point, I heard one say "I'm running out of things to say. I need to think of a new story" and continue to jabber on. They questioned the course and I just turned back and said "yup, we did run this hill earlier" to which they completely ignored me. Cool, whatever. But I couldn't just pick up my pace and run ahead. I tried and failed. So I was left to listen to their constant high-pitched talking about nothing and when I heard another question about the course, I answered again. And they ignored me again. Usually, butting in on conversations is a social faux pas. But this is an ultra. This is what happens. We all become friends and chime in on conversations and jokes. These FF girls (due to the shirts they were wearing) were just being stuck up. I wasn't trying to be the 3rd wheel to their exclusiveness. So I changed my strategy and slowed way down - let them pass me while I caught my breath and sanity.


Once I reached the bluff, I took more photos and after refilling and refueling, I tried to find a stable place to do my yoga pose. I noted a runner taking his time with the view and chuckling as we nervously walked on the large rocks near the edge and asked him if he was in a hurry. "Could you do me a huge favor and take a quick photo of me doing a yoga pose?" We'll call him Kazaalahn. He was gracious enough to do so though it was trickier than I expected it to be. Uncooperative legs (past 20 miles at this point), slanted rocks, and a Gotta Go skirt that could show more than I'd like ...

Somehow, I managed to catch up to the FF girls again. I heard one tell her friend "we're almost at the end but it's going to suck. It's all uphill for the most part."  Thanks for the reminder, friend!  On the next uphill, I slowed down and they were off.
May I interject with another complaint here?Because... end of the race, tired, lactic acid, reasons.... As 2 volunteers directed me towards those dreaded hills, they yelled out "Only 4 miles to go!!" WTF?! I have 4 miles still?? I was sure I was down to 2. I could have sworn I had hit 26+ miles earlier (and yes, I did. See the 2nd loop photo above) - I felt defeated. I ran into red hydration pack guy from earlier in the race and mentioned this to him. He was just as surprised as I was.  He confirmed that I was right, only 2 miles to go.
I love you volunteers -- you guys make races happen and I respect your time and energy more than you could possibly know and I try to thank everyone out there, even if it's yelling out "Thanks everyone!" as I head back out ... but PLEASE know the mile markers or just not tell us at all. Unless it's less than a 5K, I can't bear it. Seriously though, I love you guys.

Finish line!
I heard the Ironman and wife team behind me as I saw one of the last hills and called out "This is it! This is the last big climb before the end - we're almost there!"  Or is it....? Shoot. Now they're really going to hate me. I added "Don't hold me to it but I'm almost positive."

I climbed up and saw the ribbons towards the finish. I tucked my water bottle in my back pocket and prepared to sprint to the finish. The people along the finish line were shouting, clapping and whistling. A girl yelled out "Looking great! Finish strong!" (I love when women cheer each other on. I could have hugged her). I saw the finish line--  Do a jump for the photographer! Do it! My legs rejected the idea and instead my thumbs went up.




As I headed to get my medal, I checked my ipod - 6:39. WHAT?!?! I received my medal and answered the woman with my age when asked. "I'm sure my age group is full," I told her. She checked and replied "Yes, that looks filled up. That's one tough age group!"  Haha! Indeed, I agreed with her. Women 35-39 is a strong group of women!  I did end up coming up 6th out of 11 in my age group -- and I'm completely fine with that. I have 3 more years to get stronger :)

I ran into Golden Beard and caught up with him for a bit. He must've passed me while I was doing yoga as he was just minutes ahead of me. A few others came up and congratulated me. I was in great company for most of the way and am grateful for that.


It's not weird, I have a fall wedding. No more tan lines.
 


Fiance finished not too long after me and was feeling fine. I believe I turned to Golden Beard and said "Holy sh*t. He finished. And with just a few 4 mile training runs under his belt. Son of a ..."  As happy as I am for another marathon finish for him, it's freaky how he can pull this off. And he's done this more than once!
shower

The race provides a nice, cold outdoor shower and after eating and cleaning off as much as we could, we caught up with Matt for a bit and we were back on the road. What a race.  I feel I put in hard effort where I know I pushed myself but not to a point where I couldn't enjoy the experience. I would love to place someday but I don't ever want to lose my love for the race experience. The energy, amazing people and beautiful scenery ~ I wouldn't want to miss out on any of it. Even if that includes people like FF girls and hills from the depths of hell.

Very happy with results!


Onto the next adventure...


**I mention Skirt Sports on my blogs, not because I'm asked or paid to. I am an ambassador for this amazing brand but I'm not paid to endorse the company. As an ambassador, I do receive some perks in forms of discounts and plenty of support from a community of strong, empowering women!
Real women, real bodies, real inspiration.

Comments

  1. I loved reading your post. Congrats on a fantastic finish. One day I'll make it through an ultra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It was an awesome time out there :) One aid station at a time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Therapy session. Entry 1

Go Hammer Time!

Dig deep and make it hurt.