A score to settle

I'm taking this opportunity of another day off from running to blog... about running.   I'm not sure what's really going on but from what I gather, my body and mind need a rest.  I've been working around the clock with both of my jobs, running kids around, checking off my to-do list for my upcoming wedding and training like crazy for the past month. I finally have a week off from my other job and my body just screeched to a halt after the half marathon this past weekend. So I'm listening and I'm so tired that I don't even want to fight it!


Back to the topic...
I have mixed feeling about the 50 mile distance. I feel accomplished when I think of my first 50M race, recalling the moment I crossed the finish line at the North Face Endurance Challenge with my friends and receiving my first 50M medal. Then complete shame and embarrassment at having to DNF last year due to ITB injury.  It flared up around mile 17-18 and at mile 29, I had to drop out.  It still shakes me.  I thought I'd done everything right, trained just right and fueled properly. I was physically and mentally ready.  It's the reason why I'm always worried about crossing that finish line no matter how well I trained. That blog post can be found here

First 50M, run to the finish

I have a score to settle.  And I'm coming back for my second 50M in September at the same race: North Face Endurance Challenge Wisconsin. I consider this to be my A-race for ultras. I love this series and have been running it since my first year of ultras!
Meeting Dean Karnazes at his mile 40, our first year 50K

I'm changing up my strategy a bit this time. Last year, I wanted to finish around 12 hours (which would've been about a 30min PR-ha!). This time, it'll be a lot of run/walk intervals while making sure to safely hit the cutoffs.  I just want to finish this time.

What worries me the most is my ankle. The sprain from end of May has been the bane of my existence. It aches and I'm still unable to kick for long while swimming so I've been relegated to mostly using the pull buoys for my laps. It feels fine during and directly after running for the most part but I've skipped a few runs when the pain seems elevated.

I've been upping my mileage and keeping to my long runs. I won't be able to run the overnight 12 hour race that I've been using for previous training run (getting married that day!) so I have one more 50k coming up this weekend as my last long run. And according to most training plans, that's all that's required 2 weeks before the big race.

I will miss having my original 50M running friends with me! If you're interested in running the 50M but not sure... sign up and we'll trek this race together! Though ability to sing and love for aid station food is optional, I appreciate a good sense of humor & a vast vocabulary of cuss words. In return, I will make sure to write down where the aid stations will be.


And you can also use code BIB15 for 15% off (any of the distances; 5k through 50M) Register here
9/16-9/17 (depending on the distance).

If you're already signed up, let me know how training has been going for you. What's your strategy? What are you most looking forward to? And seriously, what's your strategy? ;)

Happy running!

Dye

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Therapy session. Entry 1

Dig deep and make it hurt.

Go Hammer Time!