100K + 6 miles = New PR

The scary and frustrating aspect of racing is that it can be unpredictable.  You can follow the training program to the letter, stick to your rest days, fit in strength training and have your nutrition on point. But on race day, your body can say
"Not Today" BTS

I've had enough of those race days that I don't like to talk about my goals - time or distance- before I race so as not to jinx it.  And I've hardly had much luck at this race. The first year, my feet got so swollen I could hardly put my shoes on. I called it once I reached 40M - short of 10 miles. Another year, I had to stop at 14 hours because my hip went out.... This year, it was my ITB. To be completely transparent, I had woken up with neck pain a few weeks prior. It would go away and come back - on repeat.
Setting up my home base for the next 24 hours

In the back of my mind, I had a goal of 100K. Something I've been attempting for a few years unsuccessfully. And then to run as much as I could before I absolutely could not. Maybe a 100M? That's what I like about the timed races. It's all on you to decide when the race is over. My goal was 100K but what else could I do? Why stop there when I could push myself to do more? Completely mind over matter.

The course is a little over a mile on the Ice Age Trail -- much better than the 400m track that it used to be on! This small race has a grassroots feel to it and many of the runners come back each year. Most of them have been running ultras for decades and have stories to share. The oldest participant was 84yrs old, respectively.
Loops -> miles conversion

I got there on race day and was greeted by the race director. He seems to remember all of his runners, year after year. I set up my tent and chair along the course, everyone lined up with their own as well. Last year was pouring rain so I've learned to pack everything in baggies for all of my events. (Just a reminder, baggies = Ziploc bags. Right, Billy?)

My strategy was to take it easier than last year. Walk all the hills and run/shuffle the flats/downhills. And it worked well. I was going to hit a 50M PR of 11hrs or even less. And then I felt some pain on my right knee. I dismissed it at first since my left knee had some pain earlier but was able to walk/run it out. But I realized this pain was different and I immediately knew my PR wasn't going to happen. My old ITB injury was back. I ceased running and stretched for a bit before slowly walking. I had to at least reach 50M. I only had about 8 miles to go and wanted to make sure I didn't aggravate it to the point where I couldn't walk anymore. Because I've also done that in the past - we learn from our DNFs, right?
12 hours in

During the race, I mostly stayed to myself. I recognized many of the runners but today, I wanted to be in my own shell. I needed it.  During the first hour, a woman came up my side and asked how my Ironman went. I didn't even hide my shock because she followed up with, "Last year you mentioned training for an Ironman." I apologized for not remembering our conversation and we caught up (she even remembered what town I lived in - her memory is amazing!)  I thanked her for making the first hour fly by and after we stopped at our individual tents, I was pretty much solo for the rest of the time. I put on my podcasts and just blocked everything out. I craved that time alone. No small talk, just inside my head and taking that time for myself.
Breakfast of champs!

During the night, I walked past another participant who was walking as well. He said his knee went out by mile 2 so he decided to walk the rest of the time. Our conversation was pretty much the usual ultra convo -- "Have you ever run (insert run)?" and food. I mentioned how much I would love a root beer float and a cup of coffee. It was after midnight and I felt like a zombie. On top of already feeling like a zombie from my medication.

He ended up running ahead with another friend and I wished him good luck. When I reached the aid station, a volunteer asked if I wanted a coke float. My eyes widened and I thought, "HOW DID SHE KNOW?" And then she said, "We do have coffee too." And I kind of freaked out a little bit. Could she read my mind? I just turned my head in shock and noticed that the runner next to me was the man who I had mentioned my cravings to. "Did you tell them?" I asked as I laughed. He had run ahead to arrange this. THIS is why I run ultras. Total strangers look out for you - we're all in this beautiful misery together!
Popsicles!

I'll be the first to admit that my basic math skills go out the window during long runs. I had miscalculated when I was trying to figure out if/when I could reach 100K after my ITB slowed me down. And according to those calculations, I wasn't going to reach it..Until our race director updated me on my loops/mileage (every hour, he will update you as you cross the mat). I only had 5 loops to go - I was going to make my goal!!

Once I thought I reached the loops, I confirmed with Robert (director) and one of the volunteers (who also runs. You may have seen him as a sweeper on the IAT course and volunteer at North Face WI). I had a little over 63 miles in. "Awesome. Ima go take a quick nap and I'll be back." The volunteer (I will catch his name next time!) joked about me coming back to run again. I gave him my word.

I opened up my hatchback, flipped the seats down and grabbed my blanket. I rolled up a towel for my pillow, set my alarm for 6:15am and put on my sleep hypnosis for anxiety podcast (laugh but it's amazing and works every time).

I woke up before the alarm and took a moment before putting my shoes on again. This was the epitome of "putting shoes on is the hardest part". I was comfortable in my car and my entire body was revolting at the thought of continuing on. But my ITB felt a little better and I wasn't unable to continue so I went back out there.

"You DID come back!" the volunteer yelled out when I crossed the mat after my first loop back. In the last hour, I wanted to get 3 loops in so I tried running. It didn't feel great so I ran until I couldn't and after a short walk break, I'd go back to running.

After they sounded the air horn to signal the finish, I headed back to my tent. "Packing up and disassembling the tent and chair should be fun, " I thought. I gathered my things and headed to the car before driving 2 hours back home.  I had time to digest what went well and what I needed to work on.

I did much better without gels. I stuck to Skratch Labs hydration, chews and whatever the aid station had to offer. My main goal in fueling was that I consistently got calories in. And when volunteers offered hits like mashed potatoes in chicken noodle soup, it was easy to do. I stayed well-hydrated and fed! This week will be in recovery. No running. Focus on my ITB and being back in good form for North Face WI in a few weeks.

In the end, I got 68.525 miles. I'd be lying if I said I'm not upset about my ITB holding me back from reaching more miles, but I got my 100K!! I'll take this win and come back next year for more.

Added: I went to see a chiropractor today and the damage is going to require back to back sessions ((insert laugh)). Nothing serious, but from my neck down to my hip, my alignment was off. One side of my hip was anterior and the other posterior -- it was pretty much sitting diagonally. It explained the post-race hip pain and ITB issues. She also said I'm leaning to my left when I stand straight -- again, makes sense since the hip issue is on the right side. I look forward to being back to being pain-free again -- until the next ultra. See you at North Face WI!!

~ Dye



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Therapy session. Entry 1

It looks like broken dreams - Ironman Chattanooga Pt 2

Dig deep and make it hurt.