It only gets better. Trust me!

First things first, you guys ROCK!!
So many of you helped celebrate my birthday by doing a virtual run with me #runninglikeafool - it was great knowing that I had some awesome company throughout the day. You guys motive me to push harder and I absolutely LOVE my running/IG/FB family~ you have no idea how much your support and encouragement means to me!  And as promised, I made cupcakes for all participants ;)


I took a few days to summarize my birthday 6hr run/walk/bike. I even took time to transfer the photos from the old phone (I shattered it  - twice) and re size them... and as I was typing the last few words "I thought last year was epic - and in so many ways, it really was..." I immediately deleted my original blog.
I knew what this post needed to be.

I didn't spend one minute thinking of my past on my birthday, as I usually do on my long runs (running is therapy!) and instead, I was planning one race after another. How to train, how I can improve from last year... it was the kind of run where I was full of hope and excitement for my future!
I'm exactly where I need to be. A new beginning. And I'm so psyched!!
So here is a quick recap (hmmm "quick"... I doubt my own words) of my 33th year.

First things first - late March/Early April (32yrs old)...I started running. Ohmygoodness, it sucked. I haaaated it. It was so hard! How do people run a whole block?
What made me start this torturous task? I kept coming across articles about how running a local 5k changed peoples' lives.  Seriously? "Runners are so annoying. Ugh..."
So I signed up for one when I saw a post at the college I was attending.  I wanted to know what the big deal was. "I'll show them how these races are a waste of time and money...."
The race that started it all. Jigsaw Run 6K 
(Wearing a cotton shirt & Adidas trail shoes [the colors were pretty])

Fast forward to my 33rd birthday.

That's right, I did my own birthday marathon.  I had no exact mileage goals, I said. I didn't want to just do 20 miles or a 33k -- I wanted to do something BIG. But actually completing a marathon distance seemed monumental.  But by mile 23, I knew I couldn't stop anytime soon. I texted my friend Chris and said I'm going for it.  I think we both knew it was going to happen.
I did it.  I even debated going a little further to become an ultramarathoner ~ but my legs screamed at me so I stopped.

How did I get to this in a year?  I ran... and ran.. no matter the temps. I also started lifting and strength training.  And ran some more.

I finished marathon each of the 2 months following my own marathon.  As I was driving to the packet pick-up for my 3rd official marathon, I joked about switching the distance to a 50k. Mostly to myself but a few others chimed in and said "go for it!" I still laughed at the idea. 50K?? On a difficult trail? The website boasted how hard this trail was!!

About a mile away, I thought "As long as the charge to switch isn't over $30, I'll do it... Well, maybe $50.  Alright, as long as it doesn't cost me over $80, I will do the 50K" (I don't know how I came up with these numbers...)
The cost to switch? $15.
I finished. And finished strong.  I was able to sprint to the finish line despite being out on a very technical trail for over 5 hours. (or was it 6?)  I was an ULTRAMARATHONER. Holy crap.
Dances with Dirt 50K - July 2014

I was hooked. It was such an amazing experience ~ I've never witnessed anything like it!  Leisure start, conversing with each other and the food Ohmygoodness.

Then my first DNF. Here is the video from the race https://youtu.be/2k5b5atOCfk


During all this time, I continued with the 5Ks in my area.  I wanted the best of both worlds - get my distances up and continue to PR and place at these races.

Not quite a month later, it was the North Face Endurance Challenge!! This was THE race, in my mind. I also have a video for this (I do wish it were a little bit longer https://youtu.be/i1862gz9Kwk )

We met Dean Karnazes (AGGHHH!!)  at the local North Face store the night before and thus started our destiny as Dean's stalkers. (alright, mostly me...) The race was awesome. The energy, the crew and the chance to run this with a dear friend! And also ran into another IG friend as well :)
We even got to run (behind) Dean to the next food station (I hear people also refer to these as "aid" stations) and was offered a photo with him (again!).
Amazing time with amazing people... it is by far, my favorite race.





Oh, and there was that time I was lucky enough to get into the Chicago lottery. What a race to end the season!  I am still in awe of this race. I will never forget seeing the waves of runners ahead of me in what would normally be one of the busiest street in Chicago (right in the beginning) -- though is there any part of Chicago that's not bustling with traffic and pedestrians? :)
I met up with Nahum and Rosie -- my guardian angels.  Seriously, I don't know how I would've managed getting to the race without their help. Nahum was also running -- his first marathon!  We both had some serious injuries during the race. But we both finished (separately). It was truly an incredible race. I hope I have the chance to run the other world majors!

Did I say that was the end of the racing season?  Because I fit in a Spartan race.  At first, I said "no way" to OCRs. Too risky, I thought.  But when I saw that there was a 4 mile sprint through Miller Park in November, I decided to go for it.  If I do get injured, at least there really aren't any more races in WI until spring.
It was a challenge for sure but what a blast!!  I highly recommend going out of your comfort zone and give this a try.  I surprised myself.  I didn't train specifically for this but lifting definitely helped.

I've been recovering ever since the Chicago marathon.  I took that entire week off after the race but I suddenly had ITB pain on my right knee.  I couldn't even run a full mile.  This wasn't my first time with ITB issues - I had problems with my left leg and knew taking a day or two off usually helps.
The start!
This went on for weeks, then months. It took me a few months to realize how serious this was. I wasn't even sure I could even run again.

This is why my birthday 6hr "event' meant the world to me.  Sure, it was a lot slower and I took a lot more walk breaks than I'd like. But I felt strong during the entire time. And I finished strong.



You don't think you can't achieve your dreams?
Are you afraid to even have goals for fear of failure?  Believe me when I say YOU CAN DO IT. It's scary to take that step - we've all heard that line. But the result is so worth it - nothing beats the feeling of crushing every fear along the way.

The first photo is me - a full year before I got to my heaviest.  I was a closet smoker and because of my low self-esteem, I hid at home. On the couch.  The right is from my 1st ultra.  This is just over a year. If I can do it, you can do it.
Health problems, you say?  I dealt with tuberculosis when I was young and went through treatment, resulting in using inhalers.
Take that leap and take action in making the most of your life -- LIVE!



As for me, I'm ready to tackle this year's challenges...


My racing schedule to follow :)  Hope I see you out there!!

~ Dye
#benonhuman

***What was in my hydration pack?*** Honey Stingers, Cocogo packets, Cliff bars, GU espresso shots, pepper spray, kleenex/wipes (you trail runners know what's up), extra zip lock bags for trash, sport beans...
I ran in my Hoka One One Cliftons, biked in my retired Mizunos WR 17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Therapy session. Entry 1

Go Hammer Time!

Dig deep and make it hurt.