Go Hammer Time!

Indoor marathon. 95 laps around a track. No personal music allowed. Sounds enticing, doesn't it?


I ran this last year with friends and said I'll never do it again. It's not the track so much as I'd done two 12 hour races on a high school track before - and overnight, no less. But most, if not all, ultra runners will agree that marathons have a different atmosphere than ultras. That's another post in itself! And I hate being subjected to other people's music (they play music from runners' requests).

But after so many months of freezing temps, snow and ice keeping me from decent long runs here in Wisconsin, I gave in. My desire to get in a long run without slipping, twisting my already-fragile ankle or losing feeling in my fingers due to the extreme cold took over.


I want to point out that the race is very well-organized. The race director and the entire team are phenomenal. I got updated emails and the packet pick-up and race day instructions were seamless. Absolutely no complaints in the race itself. I just have a strong preference for everything that is trail and ultra running, that is all.

I drove down to Brookfield, WI the day before the race and I selfishly decided to not bring my girls along. The thought of having the night to myself to relax sounded too good to pass up!  I did end up having the night to myself but no relaxation. It's almost a guarantee that my room will always be across the hall from a large family gathering. I may have gotten about 5 hours of interrupted sleep. It's enough ~ I've had less with the early am ultra start times!


The race is held at the Pettit National Ice Center in Milwaukee, WI. It may be a big building but until you see the sign on the front, it's easy to dismiss it. "U.S. Olympics Training Site" flashed on the front of the building and I was pumped to get in there and get this running started!

Right side rink
Left side rink
I walked up the stairs to grab my packet and ankle tracking bracelet and spent some time separating my fuel and hydration from my post-race necessities.  We were alerted to the race day instructions and the runners started filing down the stairs to get situated for the race.


The set-up is fantastic. In the innermost part of the track are two ice-rinks, where we watched the kids play hockey for most of the morning. Surrounding that is the speed skating rink, where I've seen kids and adults train here with their coaches. Then it's the running track, consisting of 3 lanes. The innermost lane is to be the passing lane - or for the uber-fast runners. 2nd lane is for the "fast runners" and 3rd for the mid-pack/slower runners.

There is still space outside of the 3rd lane that many courteous runners use to walk.  There's an area of bleachers for families and spectators and large boards that flash runners' name and laps finished - along with another board that shows how many you have left to do.  There are 2 sets of porta-potties on each end of the track and there was enough space around the tracks to place your jacket and bags. It's perfect for a training run and that's what I planned on doing that day.

"Full-service" table Photo: Running in the USA

I've been tweaking my fuel strategies and after speaking with my sponsorship coordinator from Hammer, I was going to try a new way to fuel.  I've become accustomed to the ultra aid-stations (junk food buffet galore) and though my times were great last year, I learned I was consuming too many calories for my weight. I also spent a lot more time at the aid stations than needed!  While a running PR is always on my mind, the main goal was to run a steady race without bonking (or another GI nightmare like last year... remember that post?)

I popped some Hammer Race Caps and 2 Perpetuem solids, set up my two water bottles, Perpetuem solids, Endurolytes Extreme and Hammer gels on the self-serve table. And yes, they also have a table where you call out your bib number and they'll have the bottle ready for you to grab from them.
The busy runners and volunteers stopped as the National Anthem played over the speakers and we were then instructed to line up at the start. And we were off! It's a lot of shuffling around in the beginning and people running in fast lanes, passing lanes, off track... but then we all found a nice groove.

Photo: Running in the USA

Most of the laps are a blur. I did see another Skirt Sports ambassador and yelled out "Hey, Skirt!" but didn't get a chance to really talk to her. I had a plan and was sticking to it. There were a few guys that were gunning for some amazing finish times and as they were announcing their laps, us mere mortals would laugh and groan silently as we realized how much more we had left.  I tried to distract myself by watching the activity within the inner rink area, zoning out to the Zamboni clearing off the speed skating track and reading all the running meme posters along the walls. Near the entrance to the rink, there are large posters of past Olympic legends that had trained at this center. You can't help but feel inspired.  The Winter Olympics had just started that weekend and I had a quick laugh as I realized our US Olympians - some of whom may have trained here - are over in South Korea to compete while this South Korean born and bred is here, running where they train.


The temp inside the ice center was 40F ~ perfect running conditions (though I could've used gloves this time!). The announcer kept reminding us to drink water since it's so dry. And dry it was... I chafed like crazy that morning. I'd work up a sweat with enough laps and once I'd slow down to drink/fuel/take a restroom break, I'd be dry and immediately start chafing.  Within the last hour or two of my time out there, we heard a call for medical assistance for a runner at the finish line. A group of us gasped and ran as fast as we could to see what happened ~ and it was a scary sight. This runner had collapsed and was incoherent. Her head rolled around and they couldn't get an answer out of her. 911 was called as they wrapped her up in as many blankets as they could find.  It jerked me out back to the reality of how serious it can get. Not properly fueling or hydrating and pushing too hard can really take a toll on your body. I got a little spooked and remained at my steady pace, watching my hydration even more carefully.

My view for 4+ hours

With the last 5-6 laps to go, there was a group of women in the spectating bleachers who were amazingly supportive. I really needed it by this time and appreciated them more than they know. They saw my Hammer tank and yelled out "Yeah, Hammer!! You got this!" and with each remaining lap, they yelled out "Go Hammer Time!"  With about 2-3 laps to go, I knew I could push it.  I got in the 1st lane and just hammered it out. I heard the announcer call out my name (or something similar to it) with one lap to go. "Dye... Deanna... Schejwick.. See-Jick...? I'm so sorry" That poor announcer - I always knew he was going to call out my name when he hesitated on the microphone.

Stop to drink or carry it with you for a lap, drop it off anywhere outside the track.
Photo: Running in the USA

The awesome ladies were there and called out "Is this your last one?" and when I smiled and nodded, they let out a big whoop and yelled, "Go get it, Hammer Time!!" Thank you, ladies ~ that was the push I needed to finish out that last lap. I hit 5:49/min pace at some point during the last .86 miles of the race.
I immediately went to my bag and downed my Xyboline tab and Premium Insurance Caps with Recoverite (my must-have). As I went to the self-serve table to gather my water bottles, one of the marathon maniac runners stopped by and shook my hand, congratulating me on my run. "You were strong and steady out there all day. Congratulations on your finish." 


No PR this time (missed it by 4 min) but it was a solid run and a good base point. I did what I set out to do: run a steady marathon distance and still get enough energy to sprint at the end. I just have to get used to not eating all the sugar at those aid stations ;)

Happy running!
~Dye

Here's what I did for fueling at this race:
 2-3 Perpetuem solids + 2 Endurolytes Extreme every hour.
Sip on my water every 3-4 laps, or as needed (it's really dry in there)
1 Hammer Gel halfway through the race and another within the last 30 minutes.
I think I may add a banana or some sweet potatoes about 1/3 into the race!

** I am a Hammer sponsored- athlete. I'm a huge fan and believer in their products (which is why I applied to be a part of their team!) But this race was not paid by Hammer nor was I paid to include their products in my blog. 
***Whether you already love them or would like to give them a try, you can use code 269880 for 15% off your first order. ***



Comments

  1. I can’t imagine! Congratulations & you looked great. @http://rrrtraininglog.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I can't imagine how hard that was!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like childbirth, it doesn't seem so bad now :D Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I admire you doing this! I don't think I could ever run a marathon on a track! You're a rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannon! I've done 12 hours on a track before so I figured a marathon wouldn't be so bad ~ I much prefer the overnight race :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Therapy session. Entry 1

It looks like broken dreams - Ironman Chattanooga Pt 2