Why do I run?


I have written this post 3 times now, deleting 2 and starting over in one sitting alone. The reasons always changed to this question. It can change from morning to afternoon. And to be completely honest, I haven't wanted to really run this past month. The flu really set me back, and then I lost all motivation. The question of why I run would plague me during the runs if/when I finally did force myself to lace up and run/jog/walk. I welcomed any and all "reasons" to not train every day - which is not the easiest to do when your job is at the gym!

WI winter may have something to do with it...

I really questioned why I keep doing it. Not just running but the training itself. It put me in a dark place where I felt I had no business posting on social media, showing my "just barely getting it done" training posts and trying to be supportive of others.

With the right group of people, running 50M is actually fun! Met this crew along the course: Ann, Mandy, and Rob *not pictured Lynn.

It wasn't until this weekend when it finally came to me ~ endless possibilities. Travels, adventures, new friendships and boundaries...

With my girl during Chicago marathon! Danyell

Got my jump shot with Laura
I was in Tucson, AZ for a retreat/training weekend but since my schedule didn't align with their training schedule, I opted to do the long run portion on my own a day earlier.  The amazingly talented Laura (better known as @swensurfers on IG) agreed to run with me ~ especially when she found out which trail I was doing.  We had talked earlier about running together and right before the trip, she messaged me again about a trail she wanted to do. I sent her a link to the trail I had been planning on in case she was interested in this one --  and turned out to be the same one as hers. It was meant to be!

Bear Canyon Trail Photo: Laura S
Thank goodness she was there (along with another friend, who is just as strong and amazing as Laura is). I would've had to turn around within the first 2 miles - or worse, get lost out there with 50oz of water and hopes of people finding me in time.  The trail was picturesque, but the climb was a challenge > for a flatlander, this was a HUGE challenge. But it's what trail runners live for. The dirt, gravel, and rocks along the path, the burning in your quads and calves from the climb, and views that take your breath away (literally, at times, if you are a visitor from sea-level) and remind you of how much bigger this life is.  It's humbling and energizing.


It was the boost that I'd needed. Why do I run? I've written about how I started and what kept me going (in regards to depression and therapy) here. But I continue to run because it has opened up so many doors for me. I've met so many amazing friends through the running community, it has taken me on numerous adventures that I'd never think to go on, and challenges I never would have imagined to take on  (or think I could do!).  It's not just something I do -- it has become a way of life.  The motivation to continue may go from time to time but quitting is not an option because I refuse to go back to my mediocre life.

Redefine your limits -  70.3

 I hope you find the freedom and adventure of running as I have ~ I'd love to hear your stories.
With Amy M in CO ~ Mt Sanitas.


~ Dye

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Therapy session. Entry 1

Go Hammer Time!

It looks like broken dreams - Ironman Chattanooga Pt 2