Oh hell no, I paid to use that porta potty

I witnessed a race bandit for the first time yesterday and hopefully the last. There was a man and a woman in front of me. It was made obvious that he was slowing down for her (he also had an Ice Age buff on so he's not new to long distance racing). Once we hit Wales, WI (not yet halfway on course), another woman came up to the 2 ahead of me. I first took her as a friend there to cheer her on but then noticed she had a hydration pack on and started running w her (no bib). I was in shock for the most part, but ultimately decided not to make a big deal about it.

Until the next aid station. As I headed to the porta potty, I noticed she was about to do the same thing. I rushed to beat her there (f*@& that, I paid to use that) and came out to both of them waiting. That's when I got pissed off. Had I stayed behind them, I would be waiting for someone who didn't pay for the convenience of a porta potty along the run.

As I continued to run, I debated this situation. No, this is not a BQ qualifier nor were we breaking any course records that day. It was ultimately about right and wrong. Before the bathroom issue, I thought "I guess the trail is open and others are out running too. As long as she's not using the aid stations, it seems reasonable."
1) The other runners doing their usual runs were going in the opposite direction of the paved trail and a few turned off the trail once they got to a road.
2) She came to run alongside and pace someone who was in a race. The guy she was running with had gone ahead as soon as this friend came on to take over.
3) I was using this race as a training run but I did pay for it. I was paying for the convenience of water stations and porta potties along the way as well as the safety of police officers along the route who were helping to halt/direct traffic.
I could've just saved myself a lot of money and do another self-supported 20+ miles.

The biggest thing was: what if a majority of the people did what she did? Just jump in for a while, paved trail is technically open, no biggie. They could've saved themselves money too. I wasn't the only one who drove hours to the location, stayed overnight at a hotel and paid for that entry.

By the time I was at mile 20, the girl was alone and as she passed us, I noticed she was alone. On a side note, I'm not butt-hurt about being passed. I wasn't there to PR and was enjoying my run talking with others along the way. Training run, not a PR run. But then I thought, what if she wasn't paced? What if she were left to do the run herself or burn herself out by trying to keep up with her faster friend?

It was an internal struggle. I thought about pointing it out to a volunteer at a few aid stations but I figured that's not what they signed up for. And at one of the aid stations, they were taking down our bib numbers and figured they'd sort it out (they didn't say anything, she continued on). I was torn between not being a snitch but not calling out to attention what I thought was not right. Say something to her? I didn't want to cause any problems on the course period. Had she crossed the finish line and grabbed a medal, I would have definitely said something. But it still doesn't sit right with me...

What's your view on this? How would you have handled it? Have you experienced someone jumping on to the course during one of your races?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Therapy session. Entry 1

It looks like broken dreams - Ironman Chattanooga Pt 2

Dig deep and make it hurt.